A new volume in the Emerging Issues in Analytical Chemistry series, Exercise, Sport, and Bioanalytical Chemistry: Principles and Practice focuses on the basic and applied aspects of energy metabolism in humans. Concise and scientific, yet intelligible to the nonscientist, the book consists of two parts. Part I, Introduction: Basics and Background, provides the biochemistry necessary to understand the rest of the book and describes analytical processes and results as an aid to grasping the science. Part II, Applications: Knowledge into Practice, explores measurement techniques for metabolism, energy expenditure of various activities, techniques that enhance expenditure, metabolic adaptation, foods and drugs that enhance expenditure, and the role of bioanalytical chemistry in future research in exercise and sport. Discussion of the benefits of exercise and practices for improving the capacity to perform exercise is illustrated by many useful and entertaining examples. This volume allows readers to come away with a grasp of the scientific concepts, how they are manifested in research techniques, and how the results of research can be applied in the real world of public health and personal development.
The Emerging Issues in Analytical Chemistry series is published in partnership with RTI International and edited by Brian F. Thomas. Please be sure to check out our other featured volumes:
- Thomas, Brian F. and ElSohly, Mahmoud. The Analytical Chemistry of Cannabis: Quality Assessment, Assurance, and Regulation of Medicinal Marijuana and Cannabinoid Preparations, 9780128046463, December 2015.
- Tanna, Sangeeta and Lawson, Graham. Analytical Chemistry for Assessing Medication Adherence, 9780128054635, April 2016.
- Rao, Vikram, Knight, Rob, and Stoner, Brian. Sustainable Shale Oil and Gas: Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Geochemistry Methods, 9780128103890, forthcoming September 2016.
- Farsalinos, Konstantinos, et al. Analytical Assessment of e-Cigarettes: From Contents to Chemical and Particle Exposure Profiles, 9780128112410, forthcoming November 2016.
- Lee, David Yue-Wei, et al. Methods and Advances in Traditional Chinese Medicine, 9780128051610, forthcoming in 2016.
- Provides readers with the fundamental biochemistry and some elements of the physiology behind physical activity/exercise and describes the analytical techniques used to elucidate the science
- Written in clear, concise, compelling prose that is neither simplistic to scientists nor too sophisticated for a large, diverse global audience
- A one-page Close-Up in each chapter illustrates key topics to catch, engage, entertain, and create a novel synthesis of thought